Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mid-semester Progress Report

Time for a little self-reflection.

Learning Outcomes
I didn't make super specific goals about what I would learn this semester. This post was my original plan, but I really need to write a new one, since I've done things differently from how I intended. The only thing that I've managed to do from that post is to "stay away from scholarly research"--I've looked at only one scholarly article so far, and it was so boring that I both didn't finish it and didn't post about it. Oh, and I posted about Doctor Who, but I don't plan to do any more of that because evidently no one cares. Actually, that might be a lie, but if I do end up writing a review of The Shakespeare Code then I guess it'll be for my own amusement.

Luckily, I'm doing a better job fulfilling the general learning outcomes. I've already fulfilled my performance requirement, and I haven't done badly with the breadth requirement. According to my tags, I seem to really like focusing on performance analysis (1c). I've yet to do anything to engage Shakespeare creatively besides my recitation--I should focus on that.

Reading and Research
Okay, this is embarrassing. For my reading this semester I've read three acts of Hamlet, one act of Henry V, one act of Taming of the Shrew, and all of Macbeth. (I'm still in the middle of The Tempest.) Obviously I haven't done a great job with the original material, and I've avoided scholarly research on purpose. Clearly I'm doing a better job at thinking about what to post than actually reading or posting about it. This area needs the most improvement.

On the other hand, I'm doing pretty well at engaging with other class members' posting. I've made 78 comments this semester. Maybe my enthusiasm about reading other people's posts and my reluctance to make my own posts stems from how I'm used to lurking rather than contributing to online communities.

Peer Influence
Again, I really enjoy reading everyone else's blogs. I'm constantly impressed by David T's sheer output and by the depth of research that Cara puts into her posts.

Personal Impact
As I wrote before, I like evaluating and analyzing performance, and I'm also interested in adaptations, especially for kids and teens. I am not interested in literary and scholarly interpretation because I do not expect ever to use it again when I graduate, and thus it does not contribute to my lifelong learning. I have been beaten over the head with literary criticism for far too long and I have senioritis, okay? Using a blog and evaluating performance, on the other hand, absolutely contributes to lifelong learning. I will have access to a library and to film long after I lose my access to scholarly databases.

Evaluation
I have done a good job (1) commenting, (2) thinking/worrying about this class all the time, (3) filling my performance requirement, and (4) analyzing performance.

I really need to improve on (1) posting more frequently, (2) posting in more depth, (3) actually finishing the plays, and (4) learning from the Bard himself.

For the rest of the semester, I plan on focusing on adaptations of Shakespeare for children and teens.