Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog Review: The Globe

This is a review of Caroline's blog, The Globe, and specifically her hub post and research focus. I'm basing this review on Dr. B's evaluation criteria.


Posts
  • Quantity: I'm a little confused about this since the hub post links to only three other posts, which doesn't seem like much. But the posts are very detailed and definitely support Caroline's thesis adequately. There are 38 posts total, which is awesome.
  • Content: Caroline's posts are substantial and well thought-out. She uses pictures very well, both for the look of the posts and to add to her analysis.
  • Format: The titles are mostly descriptive, although some could be more informative. I particularly like the titles that tell me what's going on in the post, like "awaiting a guide to Victorian Shakespeare" and "Hermione as an ideal Victorian woman." There are lots of tags--maybe a few too many. I find it especially baffling that the tag "shakespeare" appears to have only one post. 
Research
  • Thematic focus: Looking through the blog, I think Caroline has had a clear focus (Victorian Shakespeare) for quite a while, but not all of her research is reflected in her hub post. 
  • Thesis and cohesion: The hub post is very well done--I like that it's in paragraph form, and the links are beautiful. But it needs to include more of the research that Caroline's been doing all semester.
  • Sources: I think the sources page would benefit from links to the posts where Caroline discusses the works cited. 
Personal & Social
  • Author identity: Caroline does a great job presenting herself, both through the information in the sidebar and through her polished writing. She always comes off as professional and invested in her research.
  • Documentation of process: Caroline has several posts that do this, like "pre-hub," "quite kean," and "new directions," just to name a few.
  • Interactions: in the "new directions" post Caroline refers to several classmates' posts, and she's made 85 comments. 
Design
  • Overall: I'm not a fan of the white text on a dark background, which gets tiring to read. But I do like the color scheme and the simplicity of the layout. I wonder if it might look a little more Victorian--but then again, how Victorian can a blog really get?
  • Side content: I wish the "blog archive" widget had drop-downs so I could look at post titles rather than whole months. Other than that, the sidebar content is just right--informative and in a good order, but not overwhelming.
Overall, I think Caroline's done a great job with her research and her blogging process. If I ever needed to write a paper about Shakespeare in the Victorian era, I would look to her blog as a useful resource.