Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Author of A Loser's Guide

Hey, remember back when I did a review of The Loser's Guide to Life and Love? Well, tonight I had the pleasure of meeting the author, Ann Cannon! She and Betsy Burton, owner of the King's English bookstore in SLC, came to Rick Walton's publishing class to talk about the children's book industry and answer our questions. She was super nice and funny.

After class, I asked her about why she decided to write a modern teen lit adaptation of Midsummer Night's Dream. She said that she was teaching a class where she had students write a paper bridging a YA novel with a classic (I did a similar project--we both got the idea/assignment from Chris Crowe) and she thought, hey, I should try my hand at a novel that can be bridged to Shakespeare. Voila! Just like I mentioned in my last post, this book serves as a great bridge to MND. It was really fun to meet the author of a book that I've read and studied so recently. And hey, maybe I'll do a Shakespeare adaptation myself someday.

(Note to Dr. B: please don't grade my blog yet! I'm working on my hub post and evaluation but I had an exhausting day today that felt something like this and I'm going to bed right now.)