Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Focus Project: Shakespeare and YA Literature

Main Research Question
What elements of Shakespeare can be successfully translated into the young adult experience?

YA Books
Ariel by Grace Tiffany (The Tempest)
The Loser's Guide to Life and Love by A. E. Cannon (Midsummer Night's Dream)
Lady Macbeth's Daughter by Lisa Klein (Macbeth)
Enter Three Witches by Caroline B. Cooney (Macbeth)
Ophelia by Lisa Klein (Hamlet)
Dating Hamlet by Lisa Fiedler (Hamlet)
Shylock's Daughter by Mirjam Pressler (Merchant of Venice)
Romeo and Juliet Together (And Alive!) At Last by Avi (Romeo and Juliet)
Romiette and Julio by Sharon Draper (Romeo and Juliet)
The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt (multiple plays)
King of Shadows by Susan Cooper (historical)
Swan Town by Michael Ortiz (historical)

I won't be able to read every single one of these books, but I plan to read at least five.

Questions to Answer as I Read
  • What elements (themes, characters, direct quotations) of the original text did the author choose to explore in the spinoff story? What elements were downplayed or omitted?
  • What would teens find appealing about this book?
  • Would teen readers want to read the original text after reading this book?
  • How could this book be used in a classroom setting to enhance the study of the original text?

Fulfilling the Learning Outcomes
Gain Shakespeare Literacy
  1. Breadth: Since I didn't finish the comedy or the history, I'll need to read one of each. I'll read Midsummer as I read Loser's Guide. I'll also finish Henry V, and since there don't seem to be any teen spinoffs, I'll discuss what elements an author could use to adapt the play into a successful YA novel.
  2. Depth: Some of these books have ties to specific textual passages. I'll do a close analysis of one part of the original text to the parallel part in the adaptation.
  3. Performance: I've already done well at fulfilling this requirement, so beyond trying to go see Much Ado I won't focus on this.
  4. Legacy: That's what this project is all about, Charlie Brown!

Analyze Shakespeare Critically
This is the section where I will deviate most from the outcomes, because much of my analysis will be of secondary texts rather than the original plays.
  1. Textual analysis: Maybe when I'm reading Henry V or Midsummer I'll do a close reading, regardless of if it applies to my focus.
  2. Contextual analysis: Maybe some of the historical books will address historical issues related to specific plays, or maybe some of the themes will change explicitly because of historical/cultural context, so I can discuss that.
  3. Application of literary theories: I'll look at some books/articles that discuss adaptation or translation theory and apply what I find to YA adaptations.
  4. Analysis of digital mediations: Maybe after I review a book I'll look at the SparkNotes for that play and see if the author chose the same themes that SparkNotes emphasizes. Any other suggestions?

Engage Shakespeare Creatively
  1. Performance: Check.
  2. Literary imitation: I will adapt a scene from Henry V into a scene that would work in a YA novel.

Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
  1. Formal writing: I intend to post reviews of each book, which will be formal.
  2. Informal writing: My comments to others will be more informal than my posts.
  3. Connecting: I will interview my 13-year-old brother about his experience reading Romeo and Juliet to further examine what teens can get out of Shakespeare.